Friday, June 22, 2007

Not-So-MySpace

Let me start by being perfectly clear: I did not want a MySpace Page. At all. Ever.



Is it enough to say that I now have one? Would it be enough to stop myself after imparting how the love of my life decided I needed one? Nah.



MySpace pages break most of the rules of good page design within the basic framework of coding. That reason alone was enough to keep me away. Then I looked at how most pages were being "pimped." I believe the word nauseating comes closest to my reaction. So many pictures and colors and combinations seemingly intended to beat the viewer into submission. A visually pummelling sensation.



Readability? What is that? Not something typically found, apparently. Poor use of contrast, poor control of presentation, a random mish-mashing of content and my number one biggest pet peeve on the whole world wide web: Fixed width layouts.



That's right. I said it. I HATE fixed width web pages.



I work on many different sizes of monitors during the course of a typical day. Why does flowing with my current monitor seem to be so much to ask? To examine the look of the web, the immediate first conclusion is it must not be possible. Then a site pops up that does it. Then another. They are out there. They are just few among the many. Interestingly, all the Google-related pages seem to do it. Hmm.



So, trying to get over that, what else is there? Social networking? Blogging? Photo posting? General sharing? All that and more apparently. I have avoided MySpace. For whatever reason, that time is over.



Now it is time to move forward and see how much joy can come of it.



By the way, I have found my love knows what is best for me FAR better than I do...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home