Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Great Checkbook Experiment

I am attempting an experiment, beginning today.

I am going to load up a virtual checkbook with $1,000 and spend it. Then I am going to add another thousand for each day of the experiment. Thus, two thousand dollars on day two to spend, three thousand on day three and so forth.

I have no idea how this will go, as I cannot now imagine spending $365,000 in some useful, productive, happy way. I found this idea through Abraham, with the recommendation that it only be done while it is still fun.

My only goals are to have lots of fun and learn what I may from such a thought experiment. If I can grow just a bit from examining how I would and wouldn't spend such monies, then I will consider the experiment a success.

I have been thinking about how to spend money for many years now. I am sure I am not alone. I am quite curious to see where this process takes me. I mean, really, we all want to donate vast sums to charity and save the world, right? Or do we?

I will approach this from the perspective of doing what feels right and good. If that includes a specific charitable donation, so be it. I am setting some ground rules, however. It seems like donations could easily be used as cop-out: Spend $28,000 on day 120 and donate the remaining $92,000 to a charity. Great. Now I have warm fuzzy feelings about all the "good" I just did, but I am really not playing the game. So, the basic rule is something like this: All purchases are to be as specific as possible. If it feels like an avoidance of actually playing the game, I will not do it.

I will not concern myself with charities and filler spending. If it feels good, I will do it.

Now, what do spend the first thousand dollars on? I know just the thing. My wife really wants an iPad. As configured, I am spending $996.00 this first day.

Balance forward: $4.00

Thus it begins.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home